I don’t make New Years Resolutions. I’m not sure why, but I never have. I think it was something my old pastor said about resolutions being a temporary outer change, not an inner heart change.
I do have goals for 2013. About half have to do with writing my book. The rest are pretty random.
- Make a pizza using homemade pizza dough, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Yes, I have a goal of learning to make my own cheese. It’s all because of a cookbook I got for Christmas. I’m also going to make homemade graham crackers.
- Get a little better organized at running our home. I’m okay at it, but it usually ends up being at the expense of caring for me. I want to get things in better balance.
- Teach another Bible study for our church women’s ministry. My goal this year is three, but I’ll be happy with two.
- Study (not just skim) Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. As in highlighter, notebook, and pen in hand. What I’ve read so far has really changed my thinking about plotting and dialogue, so I want to really soak up this book.
- Study Stein on Writing by Sol Stein. The man is brilliant, and I just pray I can absorb the tiniest percentage of that brilliance.
- Study Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. This book got me through some wicked writer’s block in college, and I finally own it.
- Finish my new novel! I haven’t done a ton of writing on this one yet because I’m outlining. Yes, I, Laura, who never outlined a single paper in college or high school, who despised the whole idea of outlines. I am outlining my new novel so I don’t run up against a brick wall like last time. If anyone says “I told you so” I’ll punch him or her square in the nose.
- Read a lot of fun books and some not-so-fun books. I want to study theology in a bit more detail than I have in the past. I’m sure my husband can help with that!
- Be a better mom. That is always possible.
- Be a better wife. Again, always possible.
- Be a better disciple of Christ. Always always possible until I stop breathing.
That’s it. I’ll probably think of others as soon as I hit publish. But these aren’t resolutions so it’s no big deal.